vibe.d and my first web service

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 01:04:13 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 12 August 2020 at 23:07:16 UTC, James Blachly wrote:
> I worry you are right, although some of the ideas from vibe-d
> are outstanding (compile time introspection -> routing table in
> particular)

My web.d code did that (and more) two years before vibe.d was
born. And it took it a couple steps further, even generating html
forms from introspection, which I don't think I have ever seen
anywhere else. It is pretty cool but I never really documented
the old web.d, I just used it for work projects and a few trivial
demos.

vibe has always had better marketing though, and a more cohesive
presentation. My documentation is more focused on simple tasks
too since I often evolve the complex things as I use it...

I don't think I ever wrote about the reflection stuff, I just use
it as my secret weapon.

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/arsd.cgi.dispatcher.html

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/arsd.cgi.serveApi.html

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/arsd.cgi.serveRestObject.html

Yeah, hard to even tell what's ideas-to-self and what is actually
implemented there. I've gotta do a real write up some day.

I have written about some of the auxiliary features though, like
the EventSource dispatcher

http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2018_12_31.html#cgi.d's-new-stuff-in-the-works!

the built-in job scheduler:
http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2019_08_05.html#what-adam-is-working-on

and a little bundled key/value session data server:
http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2019_01_14.html#what-adam-is-working-on

But yeah.... almost nothing on how to actually bring the advanced
features together. Part of that is because I don't want to
prescribe One True Way, part is because I've been continually
developing this for 12 years and sometimes change my mind on how
to do things (though I very rarely break anything, I still have
code from 2011 that compiles), and part because it works for me
and that's all I really care about.

Still if y'all wanted to work with me I'm open to it, in theory
at least.