Epigrams in programming

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 05:21:34 UTC 2020

On Monday, 24 August 2020 at 00:10:42 UTC, claptrap wrote:
> Hah I stumbled on to this...
>
> https://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/perlis-alan/quotes.html
>
> a few highlights...
>
> 3. Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon.
>
> 15. Everything should be built top-down, except the first time.
>
> 40. There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the
> third one works.
>
> 41. Some programming languages manage to absorb change, but
> withstand progress

Epigram zero: "Clever" is not the same as "true" - but they are
related.

Also note the Hacker Folklore appendix to the Jargon Files (
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/appendixa.html ) - and *wow*
is there ever a document that needs new revisions. Surely it
can't be that hacker culture hasn't changed over the past twenty
years ... right?

That aside, I really wish somebody would feed Perlis' epigrams
into GPT-3. I'm curious what it would come up with. (Come on
OpenAI, give us commercial API access already.)