Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Eljay eljay.adobe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 17:32:32 UTC 2020

What is left to do for D 2.x for it to be declared "done" and in
stable/bugfix mode only?

I haven't seen a Vision/20xxHy for a while.

What features (and breaking changes) are on the horizon for when
the next generation D 3.x begins?

There are plenty of languages out there that have intriguing
features that may (or may not) be good candidates to consider for
D 3.x.

Rust with its type state, which allow for a strong memory
ownership model for a non-GC language.  Although I think it adds
considerably to the learning curve struggle to grapple with, at
least for Rust novices such as myself.

Swift and Kotlin, both of which have syntax similarities aimed at
preventing certain common categories of bugs.

OCaml and family (e.g., F#, and I include Haskell as a kissing
cousin of the ML family) that embrace functional-first functional
programming.

C++17 and C++2a, as one of the frontrunner languages that's
evolving in amazing ways (but sometimes odd ways), and its goal
of backwards compatibility really has made for some awkward and
awful syntax.  Take Spirit for example:  that's both
awe-inspiring combined with an amazing abuse of operator
overloading.

Both C# and Java have been evolving and adding new and
interesting functionality.  Some just gloss and polish and sugar,
but some language features are very interesting.

Then there's always Lisp and family.

Thoughts?  Plans?  Roadmap?