Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Cecil Ward cecil at cecilward.com
Mon Aug 31 02:16:17 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 at 17:32:32 UTC, Eljay wrote:

> Thoughts?  Plans?  Roadmap?

(I may have mentioned this before, but I can’t find a relevant
old post. Apologies if I’m repeating myself.)

I would like to see D move ahead in performance terms. Being
faster than C/C++ is a very tall order since compilers tends to
use common backend machinery and possibly other bits and pieces -
I don’t know.

I would like to see ideas for features that support killer
optimisations and better use of hardware - need ideas for this
though. For example, D’s SIMD and parallelism support are
excellent. Pure could be another.

I see hope for this because it seems to me that D possibly has
more freedom to evolve than say C++ and especially C.