Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 19:27:40 UTC 2020

On Monday, 31 August 2020 at 19:11:40 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Monday, 31 August 2020 at 16:34:00 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>>
>> Do you really think these same people are going to come to a
>> clear consensus about stability vs. innovation?
>
> That's the impression I get from reading this forum. DIPs that
> are small tweaks that breaks nothing or very little often get
> positive feedback. DIPs that makes big breaking changes or
> tries fork in a new piece of technology often has more
> controversy around it. Now, you would say that this is
> completely natural but still I haven't seen that big enthusiasm
> regarding the bigger changes. That's my observation when it
> comes to D. When it comes to other languages, I don't know but
> they are often governed in some other fashion like C++.

 From what I recall, DIP 1028, "Make @safe the Default", which
proposed perhaps the most significant breaking change of any DIP
ever, got a lot of positive feedback, *except* for the
controversial part about extern(C) functions. So it seems to me
like a substantial portion of the D community is happy to embrace
breaking changes, as long as they're handled well and bring a
enough of a benefit.

For a less controversial example, DIP 1024, "Shared Atomics",
also introduced breaking changes, and was also received
positively.