Alternatives to travis-ci

Petar Petar
Fri Dec 11 13:48:17 UTC 2020

On Friday, 11 December 2020 at 13:18:52 UTC, kinke wrote:
> On Friday, 11 December 2020 at 10:34:34 UTC, Petar Kirov
> [ZombineDev] wrote:
>> GitHub Actions has the least mature UI (compared to every
>> other CI service), but for most open-source D projects hosted
>> on GitHub it is easily the best choice, thanks to
>> https://github.com/dlang-community/setup-dlang which makes it
>> trivial to add CI for Windows, Linux and macOS to your
>> project. Probably the biggest disadvantage is that they don't
>> offer the option to restart individual jobs, which is partial
>> offset by offering noticeably faster machines than Travis CI
>> did.
>
> I tend to agree. But if your CI scripts are complex, there's
> one big catch for the MS solutions (GitHub Actions / Azure
> Pipelines) - they don't use a regular YAML parser and don't
> support YAML anchors for reusable pieces. Azure Pipelines
> offers custom 'templates' instead (essentially, importing a
> file). That's not possible for GitHub Actions and the main
> reason it's not an option for LDC CI.

Wow, apparently I haven't used Azure Pipelines / GitHub Actions
in sufficient depth, as we use YAML anchors in almost every
GitLab CI pipeline at work :D

I guess this big disadvantage is offset GitHub Actions
Marketplace, which makes reusable CI components much more
scalable to use. Though it's still annoying as I wouldn't bother
creating a separate repo for something that would otherwise be a
YAML anchor, unless we use it more than a few projects.