ARM first & default LDC

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Dec 14 10:48:43 UTC 2020

On Monday, 14 December 2020 at 09:57:05 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:

> I think you're mixing up two things here.
>
> DMD is Walter's baby and he's going to continue with that,
> having power over it is secondary to that.
>
> D Foundation of course want to retain control over what they
> have built, it's years and years of their hard work, decades
> even. Why should they give control to someone else and why
> think that that other group would do any better? Arguably it
> would be irresponsible to do that.

There is one thing that worries me. GCC and LLVM contains
primitives for optimizations and help for certain features. These
primitives are often complicated and takes time to duplicate in
the DMD backend. The result is that D will not use the helpful
primitives in LLVM and therefore skip certain features that would
otherwise be simpler to implement.

The DMD backend might be Walter's darling but what if he could
move to LLVM, discover all the helpful primitives which perhaps
increase the productivity and new ideas might emerge. It's a
selling point.