Future of D

a11e99z black80 at bk.ru
Tue Dec 15 17:45:20 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 19:33:30 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:
> I really think properly killing the GC would give us a big
> boost in fresh blood to the community. It would still be there,
> but it's a huge turn off to new users. That and a bit of
> blog-spam, I constantly see articles for new languages that are
> (frankly) a bit rubbish compared to various D features but
> because they are post-(new generation of languages) they are
> "cooler"

many langs has GC. nobody complains.
D looks weird.
D is simpler and more difficult than C++ at the same time.
   D-templates, alias, UFCS, ranges makes it simpler.
   life/ref/pure/nogc/trusted/safe, lambdas with no captures by
value, pragma(inline) (I have still "WTF?", why nogc/safe is attr
but inline is foreign-pragma?) - are complicated. Phobos code
looks almost same as autogenerated STL code.

D dont want try to use
- write-barrier with GC
- move to LLVM as base.
   u dont need f*ck with x86 asm and register allocations, u
already have half-done interop with many langs that also used
LLVM, u can generate LLVM-IR, u can add dynamic compilation -
generating proxies, parsers on the fly, using scripts without
converting types AStringA<=>BString in same heap..
- tail lambdas that looks pretty in other langs.

nogc/safe.. - imo its context attr not function attr.
and for context pragma is OK.
when u accept this u can add new user contexts and say to
compiler what is allowed/disallowed. and compiler can say what
method u cannot to use in this context coz it used/invoke
->methodB->methodC->thatUseGC for example.
no need to dirty the methods.

with other lang using package-manager is first step that u tried.
for D u can use dub never and u are fine with ur CLI-utilities.

D is language for handmade crafts, not for enterprise.
when u will do lang for bloody-enterprise, than you've get money
and people.
and betterC/nogc is not for enterprise, its for some thoughts
about enterprise.

D is already very complicated for newbies.
if u cannot write program (something connect to http/grpc
service) in a few hours than "f*ck it".
man need 4-12 months for learning D.