Can D used for BIG-HUGE projects?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Sun Dec 20 20:22:38 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 20 December 2020 at 17:29:50 UTC, 9il wrote:

> ... I can be a badass sometimes. Nevermind. In terms of a
> single human life, 100K is a huge project one may need a year
> or few to make this project ready for production.
>
> A command can be larger than a few men, then you can have
> almost any size if the solid system architecture allows it. A
> browser usually a project of projects. This is also valid for
> my work where "my" "huge" 100K LOC project is just a ...
> plugin! But for me, it is "huge" and I am very happy I have
> done it.

Lines of code is a horrible way to measure the size of a project.
Some projects have computer generated code. sqlite is 143K LOC.
The test suite is nearly 100M LOC, but very little was written by
humans, so should you count the test suite or the code to
generate the test suite? Some languages have tons of boilerplate.
Some code solves complex problems, while some is tens of
thousands of lines automating trivial activities (a great use of
the computer, but that doesn't make it "big"). Then there's the
removal of lines of code, optimization, testing, writing
documentation, external interfacing, answering questions, etc.
All of *that* is what factors into the size of a software
project, not a simple measure of LOC.