Fixing dub search

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 23:40:44 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 23:32:28 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 23:17:33 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
> Well, except that sqlite works now and has been extensively
> tested. I don't want to discourage anyone from rolling their
> own, but knowing how long things take around here, and using
> actuarial tables to compute my life expectancy, it's not
> obvious that it would impact me. That's also why adding another
> dependency concerns me.

I actually implemented Damerau–Levenshtein in Python the other
day in order to validate an exam question... It takes <15 minutes
from scratch. A faster version on a trie can be done in an
evening, debugged and tested. A full system in a weekend.

But, the advantage in using an existing online service is that
you get automatic scaling and better uptime: write once, run
forever... I think such a service should be grateful if Dub
provided them with:

1. cheap advertising
2. a maintained API to their service

Maybe they even will pay for the work, who knows?