Fixing dub search

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 23:55:52 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 23:40:44 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 23:32:28 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 23:17:33 UTC, Ola Fosheim
>> Grøstad wrote:
>> Well, except that sqlite works now and has been extensively
>> tested. I don't want to discourage anyone from rolling their
>> own, but knowing how long things take around here, and using
>> actuarial tables to compute my life expectancy, it's not
>> obvious that it would impact me. That's also why adding
>> another dependency concerns me.
>
> I actually implemented Damerau–Levenshtein in Python the other
> day in order to validate an exam question... It takes <15
> minutes from scratch. A faster version on a trie can be done in
> an evening, debugged and tested. A full system in a weekend.

Also, keep in mind that the fuzzy search does not have to be
crazy fast when people often search for the same stuff. Just log
all search phrases and preload the caches with the most common
ones. With some luck maybe 90% of all searches hit caches?