DIP Reviews: Discussion vs. Feedback

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 00:52:49 UTC 2020

On Monday, 3 February 2020 at 22:28:32 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> There is a fine line between discussions and feedback. It is
> not that obvious what is OT and what is not.

That’s why we have two threads now, to clearly delineate the two.
Previously, review threads would ramble all over the place, with
feedback specific to the content of the DIP mixed in with
discussion of the proposed feature and tangential topics. This
made it time consuming to dig out actionable items of feedback.

Posts in the feedback thread are required to be direct replies to
the initial post in order to prevent discussion in that thread
and keep comments focused on the DIP. If someone leaves feedback
there and you reply to it to counter it or expand on it, that’s
opening the door to discussion and your post will be deleted.
Instead, make a post in the discussion thread and include a link
to the post you’re responding to and quote the relevant text.

We don’t want to stifle discussion, because it can lead to new
ideas to enhance the DIP, or for a new proposal, or even to
withdraw the DIP. But we want to make it easier for me and the
DIP author to find actionable feedback that can guide revision of
the DIP. It will also be easier for future readers clicking from
the review summary to see what specific feedback was provided.