DIP 1027--String Interpolation--Final Review Discussion Thread

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 02:38:37 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 at 00:01:53 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> For instance, if I have a function
> void foo(string x) {}
> then I would have expected to be able to pass an interpolated
> string literal to it just as in any other. However, a closer
> reading of this DIP suggests that is not intended.

Right, that will not work with any of the active proposals.

Though with mine, you will get a type mismatch error if you try
and you can put `.idup` on it to make a copy into a GC string. So
it is still easy enough... while being possible to do *so* much
more with it too.

(and even with Walter's original one, you can import std.format;
and then i"xxxx".format() to do it too.)