Reasons to use D (over alternatives like Rust)

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Wed Feb 5 20:17:46 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 at 16:29:15 UTC, RaycatWhoDat wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 at 05:32:42 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>
> Thank you all for chiming in on that.
>
> You've given me a solid direction on how to both address
> conversations of that nature and how to not worry about FOMO
> between programming languages (which I fear is the real crux of
> the problem). I will look into borrow-correct code as you
> mentioned, Walter, and continue to work with D because it's a
> joy to write.
>
> Cheers.

Borrow correct code isn't that hard to learn. It's when you need
multiple mutable references and interior mutability hell starts
to break loose in Rust. This is also why I think the memory model
of Rust is the wrong way to go. D has a more liberal memory model
which suits people accustomed to C++ better. I hope that D isn't
going to adopt any more of these memory model features from Rust.
I'm not sure how much the @live feature will be used in D, maybe
it will just gather dust, we will see.

BTW, I'm not sure if you have noticed, Firefox has become quite
buggy lately. Can't say if it is the fault of Rust though.
Chromium based browsers seem to work well in those situations
Firefox behaves badly. I've read somewhere in a Rust forum "if it
compiles it works" which is a hilarious comment.