3 months of waiting...

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 17:21:04 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 at 16:29:18 UTC, berni44 wrote:
> On Saturday, 8 February 2020 at 01:40:36 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 2/7/2020 12:00 PM, berni44 wrote:
>>> I would actally recommend to close old PRs.
>> I strongly oppose closing PRs just because they are old, and
>> the corollary of closing old Bugzilla issues just because they
>> are old.
>
> I'm sorry, maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough: I do
> not want to close them, just because they are old, but to
> actually handle them somehow. As far as I know, several of them
> could either be merged (maybe with some minor changes) or it is
> quite clear, that they will never be merged (for example
> because the issue has been addressed in a different way
> meanwhile).
>
> On Saturday, 8 February 2020 at 01:52:25 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> Another way is to construct a tester that randomly generates
>> bit patterns, then formats the result with both sprintf and
>> the new implementation, and they must match exactly. Then it's
>> a matter of how many of these test cases are run.
>
> That's what I did - see [1]. H. S. Teoh suggested above to put
> them into std/internals to preserve them and have a possibility
> to let others run the tests too. I'll have to see. Havn't
> peeked into std/internals yet...
>
> [1] https://github.com/berni44/printFloat

for 32-bit floats it doesn't take too long to do an exhaustive
test (maybe 30 minutes or so).  I did this with my port of the
"ryu" float to string implementation
(https://github.com/dragon-lang/mar/blob/master/src/mar/ryu.d).
That being said, an exhaustive 64-bit test may not finish until
the inevitable heat death of the universe :)