Documentation Improvement Initiative

Jan Hönig hrominium at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 15:42:18 UTC 2020

I think there are two ways of looking at the documentation: from
the expert's eyes and the beginner's eyes.
I can provide feedback from the latter:
It takes some time to learn how to navigate in the library
reference. But this comes with time. (and also with my
inpatiance, since I am the "click a lot, read in detail later"
type of guy).
What I lacked most was Ali's book. It answered many questions
(especially regarding ranges). So for beginners, a more detailed
tutorial (or a more prominent link to Ali's book) would be great.
Yes, sometimes, I find something in the wiki. There are some
tutorials and some cookbooks. However, the information is
scattered, sometimes outdated. Scattering of the information is
even worse if I think about random tutorials or blogs on the
internet.
The language reference is sometimes challenging to read (again
for beginners). They have essential examples, but if you don't
have the experience, it is sometimes tough to utilize the
provided information and incorporate it into your code. My
workflow usually involves a simple feature, which I then try to
use; however, a simple one-liner does not cover my problem. On
the other hand, too exhaustive examples will clutter the
documentation.

For beginners, a more used wiki with concentrated information
would be great.
However this is a D-Community solution. (and maybe i am wrong.
Maybe the wiki is great and I am not long enough around to read
it threw).