Change D's brand color to blue.

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Jan 13 10:15:08 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 04:21:54 UTC, James Lu wrote:
> As we know, D has a branding problem. I suggest a small step
> towards fixing that branding problem, namely changing D's brand
> color to a shade of blue.
>
> Red is associated with excitement, danger, anger, and action.

Sorry to say that, but if you've followed D over the years, it
seems to be an appropriate color. [1]

> Danger and anger and excitement are not positive qualities of a
> systems programming language. They amplify the primal fear some
> people have of GC.

Why GC in particular? Also, the color blue wouldn't change the
fact that D has inbuilt GC and that some people are suspicious of
GC (not me though). I don't think a C++ programmer will say "Uh,
now that it's blue, maybe GC ain't such a bad thing after all".
;-)

> In contrast, blue reflects stability, harmony, and trust. These
> are all qualities we like in a systems programming language. In
> other words, blue triggers emotions that should be associated
> with systems programming language, which is what D desires to
> be.

Again, it's not the color but the culture of the language. You
cannot change that by using a different color. You'll also have
to deliver "stability, harmony, and trust". Else it's not gonna
work.

> Go, C, and C++ all use blue. Rust's logo is black, and the rest
> of its website is an even mix of the rainbow.

[1] Red also figures big in Scala which has / had similar issues
(https://scala-lang.org/)