Benchmarking mir.ndslice + lubeck against numpy and Julia

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Jan 13 17:09:29 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 14:52:59 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 14:26:55 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> All you have to do is look at the timings. Julia calls into
>> lapack to do these operations, just like everybody else. No
>> amount of optimization will result in the timings reported for
>> Julia - it would be a revolution unlike any ever seen in
>> computing if they were accurate.
>
> Yes, that was my initial reaction as well.

Well, see the link I posted for some details on how they achieve
that -- for example, when doing QR or LU decomposition, instead
of doing in-place calculations where they have to replace every
element of a m*n matrix, they define custom types that store the
matrix factorizations in packed representations that only include
the non-zero elements.