Benchmarking mir.ndslice + lubeck against numpy and Julia

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 17:33:16 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 17:09:29 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Well, see the link I posted for some details on how they
> achieve that -- for example, when doing QR or LU decomposition,
> instead of doing in-place calculations where they have to
> replace every element of a m*n matrix, they define custom types
> that store the matrix factorizations in packed representations
> that only include the non-zero elements.

...take a look at the Julia benchmark in the first post. They are
about 350x faster than the Numpy and D versions that are
basically just calling C code. Do you really that the people who
write linear algebra code are missing 350x improvements? Maybe
their algorithm is faster than what lapack does, but I'm
skeptical that - properly benchmarked - it could be that much
faster.