Flutter engine based ui framework

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 12:01:05 UTC 2020

On Monday, 13 January 2020 at 08:11:49 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 January 2020 at 23:08:16 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> Hm, how would you do that when the UI components are written
>> in Dart? Generate Dart VM code?
>
> I don't know, I haven't looked into it. But the repo the OP
> linked to did the same from JS, and Dart has a C FFI as well,
> so there must be a way in somehow.

Ok, I don't know how they go about this, but there is a way to
add isolates dynamically through data URIs in the JITted version
of Dart. Never tried myself though.

Apparently this capability is not available when using AoT (seems
reasonable).

> The point is that we ought to be able to, otherwise the UI
> programming community is just replacing one silo for another.

Yes, although it makes more sense to do all the UI stuff in Dart
and instead use other languages as "service providers".

Building a UI on top of Skia in D certainly is possible,  but it
would have to be very modest...

The problem is really scaling down the ambitions and do something
limited with very high quality rather than aim for something
"feature complete" and end up with something half-baked and
"patched-up".