Pay as you go is really going to make a difference

Martin Tschierschke mt at smartdolphin.de
Thu Jan 16 14:03:15 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 12 January 2020 at 20:29:59 UTC, aberba wrote:
> https://tonsky.me/blog/disenchantment/
>
> Let's kill the bloat!!

And there is an other effect of this ever growing bloat.
I have two old iPads one iPad 1 and an iPad 2.
Both are in perfect hardware condition but, you can not use them
for much anymore, because of their small (256 and 512 MB) RAM the
available browsers
are not able to render most of 'modern' webpages.

So the ever increasing need of memory for the simplest tasks is
killing
old hardware.

The last computer, which software was optimized to the ultimate
was probably the Commodore C64. After that the availability of
more and more resources (CPU speed and RAM) has started building
an ever increasing amount of additional layers between input and
output.

Just look at a simple - statically linked - "hello world" DMD
compilation result,
how many C64 times floppy discs (180KByte) you would need to
store?

I think this process will not end as long as new storage and
bandwidth is getting cheaper all the time.

But maybe I am wrong and the next generation of software
engineers will bring the gain of Moors Law to us. (And the
resources needed for computing world wide will stop increasing.)