Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

solidstate1991 laszloszeremi at outlook.com
Thu Jul 2 00:12:03 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 at 11:21:51 UTC, aberba wrote:
> https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/apples-new-macs-how-theyll-work-after-ditching-intel-chips-11592862690
>
> This means there's genuine interest in Arm. Note there's
> similar move by Microsoft to get their system to work on Arm
> chips.
>

> PC was the only compelling target for Intel/Amd targets but now
> its changing.

I'm quite skeptical about how big of an impact it'll have.

Apple's main customers are rich business people wanting to do
regular office-work on a luxury machine. Machined aluminium is
the new beige. Yes, other people still use them, but seeing how
long Apple have neglected it's professional users, I wouldn't be
surprised if they either ditched them completely, or just force
them into their restrictive ecosystem. There's a lot of
productivity apps ported to ARM processors already, but some
people will suffer as a consequence of Apple's move.

Even if Apple will fail massively with their ARM chips, we still
need to get into ARM more than currently. I personally would have
gotten a Raspberry Pi, unfortunately my country has a quite
infamous used market, where people are trying to sell outdated
hardware barely below their original price. Money is still a
concern for me, although I have a few plans to remedy it.