Why Phobos is cool

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Jul 2 09:29:26 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 30 June 2020 at 21:40:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> Calling someone "spoiled" is rude and unprofessional. Period.

I disagree, you know there is such a thing as context.

> People who want their message heard need to post in a
> professional manner. I don't care about the opinions of rude
> people. I don't care to work with them, even if they are good.
> I am hardly alone in this - pretty much nobody in the
> professional world responds to rude messages.

That's a bit worrying. So you are saying that you dismiss / don't
care about somebody's opinion, because you don't like their
style? This is what I would call unprofessional. You have to
listen to everybody if they have valid points or good ideas.
We're talking about technology, a product, not politics.

Note aside: I think the guys who invented / developed the mouse +
UI at Xerox were a bunch of "non-conformists" and they were fired
(I think). Steve Jobs took them on (or offered more money?
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know the whole story.)

> I recommend that anyone who has difficulties understanding what
> politeness is get a copy of Emily Post's book on business
> etiquette.

"Honesty" can be used as an excuse to hurt somebody, and
"politeness" can be used as an excuse to chicken out: "Oh, that
was a rude question, I don't need to answer to that. (Emily Post
wouldn't have answered to that either, I'm sure.)"

Now, here's something about Emily Post:

"Emily Post (c. October 27, 1872 – September 25, 1960) was an
American author and socialite, famous for writing about
etiquette. [...]

The New York Times' Dinitia Smith reports, in her review of Laura
Claridge's 2008 biography of Post,[4]

    'Emily was tall, pretty and spoiled.'"

There it is again: "spoiled". :) I wonder is there a link between
being spoiled and insisting on etiquette?

Anyway, business and technology should not be guided by rules
laid down by a socialite (a spoiled one at that!). And thanks be
to God, it hasn't, else we wouldn't have the technologies we
have. You know, over-insistence on etiquette can also be a sign
of stagnation (cf. what the USA achieved vs. Europe)

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Post)

> Ill-mannered people find themselves shut out of all kinds of
> opportunities, and they rarely figure out why.

"Ill-mannered" as defined by Emily Post?