Programming language for GIMP fork's rewrite

Guillaume Piolat first.name at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 11:48:46 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 2 July 2020 at 11:07:39 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 July 2020 at 09:36:28 UTC, Mike James wrote:
> Gradual transition from a C/C++ code-base is an area where D
> shines like no other language.

Disagree.

I use GIMP a lot and while it's dependable and fast and
featureful... it's pretty clear it has a considerable UX problem.
Everything takes a few precise clicks, and even finding the right
window is a bit hard. I spent a lot of time changing the brush
size and the size isn't log, just a slider from 1 to <unusable>
pixels.

It's not _bad_, it's just getting increasingly important to be
agreeable and quick to learn.

Unfortunately, UX in modern consumer programs is getting so
important everything has to be designed around it, so I think a
rewrite would yield superior usability.
Programs that are rich in functionality but hard to learn will be
replaced with programs where workflow was considered with more
weight ; even when the replacement has less features.