Programming language for GIMP fork's rewrite

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 14:38:11 UTC 2020

On 7/2/20 7:07 AM, Mathias LANG wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 July 2020 at 09:36:28 UTC, Mike James wrote:
>> https://forum.dlang.org/post/hinhcixficvfjwidaknc@forum.dlang.org
>>
>> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 18:57:07 UTC, Kamran wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>> People who forked GIMP, a popular open source image editor are
>>> discussing on which language to choose for their rewrite at [1] and
>>> they are considering D. Maybe some of you can help them out.
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/glimpse-editor/Glimpse/issues/70
>>
>> Maybe they need to read...
>>
>> https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/
>>

>> -=mike=-
>
> Especially since they chose D, I am surprised with the idea of a full
> rewrite.
> Gradual transition from a C/C++ code-base is an area where D shines like
> no other language.

They appear not to have said exactly what the rewrite will entail - and
a lot of the discussion on that thread is how D allows usage of C libraries.

I'm a bit surprised at the UI rewrite, as D has good GTK support, and
the focus of GIMP is not really UI. They could easily use GTK and make
the UX better.

-Steve