New DIP Rules

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:15:13 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 23 July 2020 at 12:02:33 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 July 2020 at 07:43:57 UTC, Dominikus Dittes
> Scherkl wrote:
>>
>> But exactly this point is adressed by the new proposal:
>> Walter won't write DIPs in the future, but some third person
>> instead.
>> This person will write the DIP detailed, answers questions and
>> work in the given feedback. Walter and Attila then decides if
>> the result should go in or not.
>> I like this approach.
>
> I don't see that in the announcement. It says only
>
>> but the author is ultimately responsible for the content,
>> including modifying the additional draft as they see fit, and
>> deciding which bits of community feedback to incorporate and
>> which to ignore throughout the DIP process.

Everything Dominikus said is in the text. The paragraph you took
the quote from is explicitly saying that Walter and Atila will no
longer write DIPs themselves, will select others to author them,
and those authors will be responsible for the DIPs from beginning
to end. Then later the text says that Walter and Atila will
evaluate the DIP in whatever state it evolved under the author's
control. (Although, I just noticed "additional draft" should be
"initial draft". Sorry if that's confusing!)

> The main reason others do those things with their DIPs is
> because they'll be quickly dismissed if they don't. This
> proposal doesn't add anything to the requirements for DIP
> authors.

The whole point is that the DIP *becomes a normal* DIP, meaning
it's authored and maintained by someone who is not a language
maintainer, just like any other DIP. That's the part that's
changed. We're taking Walter and Atila out of the DIP authoring
process instead of, as some have requested, taking them out of
the decision-making process.