Why do you continue to use D?

Jan Hönig hrominium at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:59:37 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 3 June 2020 at 11:14:13 UTC, aberba wrote:

> Oops, what about you?

As a PhD Student I do lot of coding in Python. We use it (and
other languages) to generate high performant C/C++ code.

Why am I curious about D and like working with it?
1) Using Python and other dynamic typed languages makes me forget
how to program with statically typed languages. I don't like
being tied up to only functional (Haskell), to weird templates
(C++) or to the JVM (Kotlin). Go doesn't have the expressiveness
and I haven't really tried Rust, but I suspect the same.

2) I think D's motto "write fast, read fast, run fast" describes
the language pretty well. The syntax is nice. Once you understood
"you want to use structs" and "ranges are cool" it really is nice
to look at.

3) D's compile time capabilities are fantastic (CTFE, Templates)

4) Community. Lot's of nice and most notably competent people
here.

5) I hope to get rid of Python -> C++ some day.