newCTFE is getting ported to 2.092

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 5 21:46:17 UTC 2020

On Friday, 5 June 2020 at 21:09:37 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 08:24:10PM +0000, Stefan Koch via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> newCTFE port to 2.092
>
> How close are we to newCTFE being mergeable?  Been slobbering
> over it since it was first announced way back when, can't wait
> for it to arrive already!

Trust me once it's merged you'll be disappointed because the
problem were templates all along (hence my work on type functions)

As far as I can tell it's quite far from being merged.
It's a lot of code. It's rather clean but there are 14_000 lines
of it.
It has to emulate most of the runtime library, and a few platform
facilities like exception handling after all.

It's written on top of a code-generation API and it includes
multiple backends for it. (most of them barely functional by now)

The newCTFE-ABI has to be documented.
As well as the codegen-API itself.

Don't hold your breath :)
But it least you can play with it soon, if you build your own dmd.