Status of std.container rewrite?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Jun 10 07:38:09 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 05:49 +0000, tastyminerals via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> Not arguing that. Every workflow is affected by IDE and its lack
> thereof. My initial idea was that before the potential future D
> user even gets there, he needs something to reach for. It could
> be the web framework which is so good that no other framework is
> better. It could be the library that is a faster and easier to
> work with than alternative. D has neither of those and this is
> discouraging. So, the only new ppl who come, do so because of the
> language and the amount of such ppl is very small in general. I
> knew nothing of D libraries but expected such powerful and fast
> language to have scientific libraries. I found only Mir which is
> just array manipulation lib. Great, but what about actual beefy
> stuff like CRF, SVM, k-means? Scattered around personal github
> repos without single dedicated lib. Does it encourage me to
> proceed with the language? Definitely no. I would rather continue
> using Python ecosystem or C/C++ or Java, Scala. I bet even Rust
> has this by now.

Go has this problem of no findability of all the good libraries due to no
central repository of source libraries. C and C++ have nothing at all unless
you count Conan. Python has PyPI, Rust has crates.io, D has Dub, Java/Scala
has Maven and JCenter. Of course Go and Rust allow you to use DVCS to get at
libraries and this is a wonderful feature – when added to a central repository
as with Rust.

So Phobos not having stuff is probably just D being modern. Is it in Dub, no
idea but at least D has a central repository. Dub working with DVCS as well as
the central repository would be a good thing.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200