D3 - Programming in 3D

Luis luis.panadero at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 17:06:05 UTC 2020

If someone accepts my humble opinions.
On Friday, 12 June 2020 at 13:12:35 UTC, Chris wrote:
> How would you go about D3?
>
>     1. Which features would you keep?
Interop with C and C++, metaprograming with mixins & templates.

>     2. Which features would you definitely get rid of?
>     3. What type(s) of memory management would you chose?

I don't know, but at least a way to use GC, ref counting or
malloc/free on a more transparent way. Perhaps like Beeflang
handles allocators.

>     4. How would you design Phobos?

I really miss a solid collections framework. Perhaps it's my Java
background speaking here, but I really miss allow to declare a
attribute/variable to a Map interface and initialize with a
specific implementation of Map.

Another option it's to have a lightweight Phobos and have some
community sanctioned dub packages that implements basic stuff
like collections framework, xml/json/whatever serialization, test
runner, etc.

>     5. What restrictions would you impose? (see below)
>     6. How would you handle backwards compatibility?

A flag to change between language versions ? ie --release d3 and
--release d2
Also, the rust epoch's idea, looks interesting. And the
suggestion of Andrei about versions the standard library it's
interesting :
https://forum.dlang.org/post/rc3a7r$178f$1@digitalmars.com

>     7. How would you design the tooling?

Q. Schroll "mini dip" of alternative way to declare a mixing
string, would make a lot more easy to IDE/tools to check the
mixing code. Something similar should be considered.