D with minimal runtime

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Jun 18 12:10:09 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 16 June 2020 at 01:08:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> The new merged library ("hall" in honor of Asaph Hall who
> discovered Phobos and Deimos) would be built under a strict
> pay-as-you-go regime. That means an empty main uses virtually
> nothing, a main with a writeln() uses a little I/O, a main that
> allocates memory brings the GC in play (which auto-initializes
> on the first call), etc.

How would that interact with architecture-based constraints (e.g.
issues porting libraries in their entirety because of
architecture-specific limitations, missing assembly
implementations, etc.)?

Is it possible to ensure there is a well-defined "pay for what
you can" separation of concerns, as well as "pay-as-you-go"?

P.S. I think you should call the library Asaph, it's more
distinctive ;-)