D with minimal runtime

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Jun 18 13:17:14 UTC 2020

On 6/18/20 8:10 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 June 2020 at 01:08:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> The new merged library ("hall" in honor of Asaph Hall who discovered
>> Phobos and Deimos) would be built under a strict pay-as-you-go regime.
>> That means an empty main uses virtually nothing, a main with a
>> writeln() uses a little I/O, a main that allocates memory brings the
>> GC in play (which auto-initializes on the first call), etc.
>
> How would that interact with architecture-based constraints (e.g. issues
> porting libraries in their entirety because of architecture-specific
> limitations, missing assembly implementations, etc.)?

I assume porting a pay-as-you-go library would be easier to port than a
monolithic one.

> Is it possible to ensure there is a well-defined "pay for what you can"
> separation of concerns, as well as "pay-as-you-go"?

I don't know. That would be for the crack team that hasn't been
assembled yet :o). What I can tell is that in a large project, whatever
people pay attention to will work well. Whatever people don't pay
attention to will work poorly. For example: in Phobos I paid little
attention to things like object file size, linking in code, mutual
dependencies, or separating memory allocation from other work. These
aspects did not evolve well.

> P.S. I think you should call the library Asaph, it's more distinctive ;-)

Another decision for them!