Why Phobos is cool

Guillaume Piolat first.name at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:28:27 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 06:52:05 UTC, Petar Kirov
[ZombineDev] wrote:

> The Rust community has realized that a slim standard library +
> a solid package manager is the way to go.

The practice seems to indicate that the theory is false.

The very first Rust program I built with Rust was an _example_
program for the Amethyst game engine (granted, a big endeavour).

It downloaded _146_ packages and then proceeded to build them at
a glacial pace. This was a really "npm" moment.

In D my _full_ products have 6 packages (24 when counting
sub-packages).

It seems slim stdlib has enormous community implications and
require inordinate amount of coordination and agreements ; it
changes the whole culture.