Why Phobos is cool

Petar Petar
Thu Jun 25 18:35:29 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 25 June 2020 at 16:42:36 UTC, aberba wrote:

> Almost the exact reason why i use JavaScript (nodejs) for work
> and not D. It takes more than a nice language. When some here
> say they don't use Dub or they don't care about dub packages,
> I'm wondering what kind of software they are writing.
>
> In my line if work, it's highly dependant of availability of
> packages to get the job done. Encryption, networking, data
> manipulation, database connectors, socket, rest, cloud
> services, etc. Its more like glueing services and APIs together.
>
> Unless you're building compilers and softwares that don't
> connect to internet, then it makes sense to not be bothered by
> the lack of certain packages on dub.
>
> This will only happen when the community collaborates, which
> will only happen when there's a visible leadership
> push/backing. I meant D conf online has taken forever to happen
> and I'm not sure if community building is a thing prioritized
> at all.
>

> I've been policing and trying several packages on dub...some,
> talking to their maintainers. I want to make this happen. Its
> the only way.
>
> I rarely use core nodejs packages. Its like npm has got
> everything. Its what dub needs. Already I'm happy with quite a
> few dub packages. And there's huge!! room for improvement if
> only there's a visible official push. Its not always about
> money.
>
> I'm not sure why we don't even have regular online community
> meetups. Yeah, there's people who would rather code and feel
> more productive that way. That's also fine.
>
> Except there's another side about community building. DConf is
> a Joy to watch. Just the community interaction alone and how
> ideas are shared. It could happen more often. More often online.

I agree with everything you said.

Currently, *each* member of my dev team lives in a different
country and in a different time zone, so all my day is spent in
online collaboration (chat, audio and video calls) so I also
can't understand why there hasn't been a stronger push for this
kind of communication in D. https://dlang.slack.com/ has been a
great improvement in this regard from the past couple of years,
but it is insufficient.