Why Phobos is cool

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Jun 26 17:34:03 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 16:56:20 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 16:41:36 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 16:21:17 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps this is because we do not have a "Steve Jobs" in our
>>> midst--or perhaps we do, and they simply lack confidence that
>>> their contribution would be valued and rewarded.
>>
>> I'm not sure what it means to talk about a Steve Jobs in the
>> context of an open source project. He hired many of the top
>> people, paid very high salaries, and shouted at them until he
>> had a product he wanted to use. It's easy to be a visionary
>> leader if you have billions of dollars to implement your
>> vision.
>
> I was using "Steve Jobs" to mean the kind of person Chris
> referred to in this quote:
>
>> You'd need someone like Steve Jobs who has a vision and the
>> energy to push his cause.
>
> Feel free to mentally replace it with "a talented leader," if
> you find Steve Jobs himself objectionable.

I don't find Steve Jobs objectionable, I just don't think there's
anything to be gained from pretending there's an equivalent for
an open source project. Maybe the closest would be Rich Hickey,
and Clojure's not exactly setting the world on fire.

It doesn't seem all that difficult to figure out what D needs:
IDE support, a good package manager, solid libraries, and good
documentation all come to mind. We need volunteers willing to do
hard work and/or funding to pay people to do the hard work.