Apple is officially moving away from Intel to a custom Arm chip

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Fri Jun 26 18:28:48 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 17:54:08 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On 2020-06-26 18:12, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> [...]
>> > ... and if someone has a "big zip" (tm) with everything
>> > included and in the right position .. for a macOS host ...
>> > wow ...
> [...]
>
> Y'know what would be a total killer combo?  An all-in-one LDC
> package that contains everything you need to cross compile from
> any platform to any other platform. Including full linkers
> and/or system libraries necessary to generate fully-runnable
> executables (this point is important, because e.g. I can't
> cross-compile from Linux to MacOS without separately installing
> a MacOS dev environment, because LDC doesn't come with a linker
> for that, unlike LDC-windows).

The linker would be the simple part; LLD isn't ready for macOS
yet though, most likely because Apple prefers a totally closed
ecosystem with everything under their control. But it's being
worked on.
Redistributing their libraries is probably much harder, I doubt
they'll allow that, just like Microsoft doesn't allow that. The
MinGW-based libs shipped with DMD and LDC, to provide the
out-of-the-box experience for Windows targets, have been *a lot*
of work from Rainer's and my side (we're talking unpaid
man-weeks).

Some years ago, I've posted an unfinished Dockerfile going into
this direction, merging the available prebuilt LDC packages to a
fat Docker image. No feedback at all IIRC.

Wrt. automating the last mile (actually, the last few inches),
setting up ldc2.conf, I've repeatedly stated that generalizing
Adam's little Android tool would clearly be my choice. Sebastian
Koppe promised to do that, but he's probably quite busy at the
moment.

Anyone can do that though, it's absolutely no rocket science, and
if help is needed, don't hesitate to ask us LDC people.

But as long as people prefer to hang out in the forum instead of
getting actual stuff done in form of contributing code, nothing
will improve.