An example of why I hate the web

matheus matheus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 20:20:25 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 at 18:30:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 06:14:27PM +0000, matheus via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 at 17:34:37 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Just use Mutt[1]. :-D
>> >
>> > [1] http://www.mutt.org/
>>
>> But how the e-mail client will solve the problem in the e-mail
>> server/service? Because the retention happens in the server,
>> the client can't do nothing or can?
> [...]
>
> Ohhh, your server is Outlook?  Well, then, you're screwed. :-P
> If you have the choice, use a different mail server instead. :-P

Yes, in fact I have another e-mail and this one is just an old
e-mail (since hotmail days) that I keep because I still have some
friends attached to it.

> Currently I run my own mailserver, and I configured it to
> deliver directly to my PC, and Mutt accesses the local mailbox
> directly. Once I delete something, it's GONE.  For good.  I
> have full control over what happens to my mail, and I get to
> decide what I do with it, where it goes, and how it's stored.

2 questions:

1) Don't you have any problems with spam filters from other
services?

2) It's a cloud service or your own server in your house? If the
later how you manage reliability?

> This modern idiom of the server retaining all messages your
> behalf is IMNSHO a b0rken model.  It takes control out of
> users' hands into the mail admin's hands. It's the same thing
> with trend everywhere else, like web apps taking control of
> your data out of your hands into the app writer's server, and
> cloud services taking control of your data *and* your
> applications out of your hands into *theirs*.  It's convenient,
> no doubt, and in many scenarios more economical.  But there is
> a fundamentally b0rken principle here, that you no longer own
> anything, not your data, not your programs, your provider
> controls everything. You no longer *own* anything, you're
> merely a "subscriber" and the service provider controls
> everything.  Just the way large corporations like it. Rather
> than empowering the user, they empower themselves.  And at
> last, the threat of users taking control of their own property
> is neutralized, and the big corporations can continue to hold
> you in their thrall.
>
> But hey, this is the hot bandwagon and everyone's jumping on
> it, so why aren't you following the rest of the herd?  And so,
> this b0rken design perpetuates itself.

Yes that's true, this model is really broken, but the problem is,
having your own e-mail service may be target as spam for other
services and need to be 24/7.

Matheus.