Any guides on debugging DMD crash?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Mar 24 17:33:26 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 at 16:11:40 UTC, DanielG wrote:
> On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 00:17:48 UTC, Arine wrote:
>> You'll probably have better luck using LDC2, which has a tried
>> and proven backend LLVM. It doesn't compile as fast, but I
>> find the few seconds is worth the trade off of not having to
>> deal with as many compiler bugs like the one you've found here.
>
> How common is this sentiment among D developers?
>
> I've been patiently waiting for a dustmite reduction over the
> last few days, trying to be a good citizen and produce a bug
> report for something that has been preventing me from using DMD
> for months now. Actually it's my 2nd DMD-blocking bug, but the
> previous one was only stopping Mac/Linux, now I'm limited to
> LDC2 on all 3 platforms.
>
> I would love for my code to be compatible with all D compilers,
> and have the speed benefit of prototyping with DMD for myself,
> but I'm not too keen on becoming a compiler spelunker given all
> the other claims on my time. (For what it's worth I'm not doing
> anything fancy or esoteric - just bad luck, I guess)
>
> So I'm curious if other devs doggedly pursue DMD bugs until
> they are fixed, or if they just throw their hands up and use
> LDC2. My deeper fear is that someday I'm going to hit a
> frontend bug and won't have the skills or capital to get it
> solved :(

I can only give one data point, but I started using D in 2013 and
have never run into a compiler bug. My use case is primarily as a
better C (using the full D language, but working with C
libraries). I use mostly basic D features, none of the fancy
stuff, so I'm probably not venturing into the less-tested parts
of the language very often.