Is it time for D 3.0?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Mar 27 18:33:10 UTC 2020

Further thoughts on this:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 10:32:44AM -0700, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 11:56:40AM -0400, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> > 4. String interpolation DIP

IMO this is a purely additive change, and it was rejected mainly because
we couldn't come to an agreement with Walter, I don't think it needs a
whole new language version just to implement.

> > 5. auto-decoding
> > 6. range.save

These two could be done as Phobos v2, and can be an additive change that
doesn't need a whole new language version.

[...]
> > 8. ProtoObject
[...]

If we go with a new language version, ProtoObject could just replace
Object altogether.  We could also have other ways of dealing with the
current issues with Object, such as having the compiler automatically
insert things like the Monitor field on-demand.

Without geometry, life would be pointless. -- VS