Is it time for a unicode update of std.uni?

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Tue May 5 09:33:31 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-04 23:03:15 +0000, Mike Parker said:

> On Monday, 4 May 2020 at 16:33:10 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:
>> On 2020-05-04 09:52:29 +0000, Mike Parker said:
>

>> Digging further into this bounty-system I find the process upside down.
>>
>> While creating a bounty I need to provide my payment information, so I
>> expect that I'm immediately charged for the bounty. But I don't know if
>> anyone will do the bounty at all.
>>
>> To attract someone I have to guess an amount. Maybe I offer to less,
>> and someone would say "for +$100 I would do it" but I'll never know.
>> The money then is gone on my side and blocked at the foundation because
>> it's "task bounded". So cash gone, effect zero. Tha'ts not a good setup.
>
> BountySource works the same way

Which is not a good argument... IMO then there process is broken too.
Just took a look at the site:

* many old bounties => system doesn't seem to work very good

* no information about AVG time from posting a bounting until done =>
IMO a very critical KPI

* no information about AVG bounty size in relation to time until done
=> Again, cirtical KPI

>  -- you put the money upfront and wait for someone to do the job.

Which is playing lottery and not really a way to move things forward.

> Prior to the establishment of our bounty system, the best you could do
> was leave a note on the donation form and hope the Foundation agreed
> and could find someone to do the task. Now, we have a way to:
>
> a) ensure the donation is earmarked for a specific task
> b) make it public so everyone can see how that money is being earmarked
> c) allow anyone else interested in the same task to increase the bounty
> automatically through the donation form to sweeten the pot
> d) allow anyone interested in working on D tasks to find ways to make a
> few bucks

I got that. But I think such a system should have the focus on "getting
things done". My goal would be to shorten the time from publishing to
done and clearly try to understand what it takes.

If the experience shows: Bounties < $5000 have mostly no chance to be
done than that helps a lot. How frustrating is it, to sponsor some $
and see the thing sitting around for years? That just doesn't make any
sense.

> No, the bounty may not get claimed for a long while, but the money will
> not be used for anything else in the meantime.

But opportunity costs are running...

> The system isn't set up to facilitate linking financiers with workers.

Maybe to do that would be a very good idea.

I even don't have a clue how many from the community would be willing
to work on a contract/bounty/you-name-it. But if these people are not
in the community where else should I search?

> Its focus is on establishing a means to direct how the D Language
> Foundation directs some of the funds it receives when you want your
> donation go to a specific task rather than to, e.g., funding a
> scholarship or paying for work you aren't interested in.

Again, I don't have a clue what would be done, or what to expect when
doing such a sponsoring. To me this looks like: "Hey, throw some money
of the fence and wait for your lootbox." - Not very motivating.

Since I run my own business, I might have a very different view on
these things but to sum it up (so far, and don't take me wrong here)
the D sponsoring is not a strategic part of the D story.

The community and technology is great, a lot of highly skilled people
are here. We don't have to convince us how good and effective using D
is. However, I think most would be happy if some things could be pushed
forward much quicker.

At the end of the day, IMO, this comes down to having some financial
ressources availble/in the market to move things forward, talk about
successes, attract others, who see there is an infrastructure to get
things done, etc.

To get this started doesn't require a multi-million USD sponsoring from
a tech-giant. It requires a more "business related view" on D and it's
environment.

Again, please don't get me wrong. A lot of people are very engaged and
contribute a lot, I absolutly honor this. It just feels we are sitting
in a 600HP car and drive around at the speed of pedestrians...

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com