Is it time for a unicode update of std.uni?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon May 4 23:03:15 UTC 2020

On Monday, 4 May 2020 at 16:33:10 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:
> On 2020-05-04 09:52:29 +0000, Mike Parker said:

> Digging further into this bounty-system I find the process
> upside down.
>
> While creating a bounty I need to provide my payment
> information, so I expect that I'm immediately charged for the
> bounty. But I don't know if anyone will do the bounty at all.
>
> To attract someone I have to guess an amount. Maybe I offer to
> less, and someone would say "for +$100 I would do it" but I'll
> never know. The money then is gone on my side and blocked at
> the foundation because it's "task bounded". So cash gone,
> effect zero. Tha'ts not a good setup.

BountySource works the same way -- you put the money upfront and
wait for someone to do the job. In our case, the difference is
that the money is a tax-deductible donation to the D Language
Foundation that is earmarked for a specific task.

Prior to the establishment of our bounty system, the best you
could do was leave a note on the donation form and hope the
Foundation agreed and could find someone to do the task. Now, we
have a way to:

a) ensure the donation is earmarked for a specific task
b) make it public so everyone can see how that money is being
earmarked
c) allow anyone else interested in the same task to increase the
bounty automatically through the donation form to sweeten the pot
d) allow anyone interested in working on D tasks to find ways to
make a few bucks

No, the bounty may not get claimed for a long while, but the
money will not be used for anything else in the meantime. And
occasional posts on the blog will remind folks that the bounties
are there and inform them when new ones have been seeded.

The system isn't set up to facilitate linking financiers with
workers. Its focus is on establishing a means to direct how the D
Language Foundation directs some of the funds it receives when
you want your donation go to a specific task rather than to,
e.g., funding a scholarship or paying for work you aren't
interested in.