dub package PR social advice needed

Guillaume Piolat firstname.lastname at gmail.com
Sat May 9 13:09:41 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 9 May 2020 at 11:55:36 UTC, evilrat wrote:
> Hi there,
> A few days back one guy opened PR for my old directx bindings,
> asking to merge patch for 68 files where he adds
> version(Windows) to these files, claiming that he has some
> problem using the package on non-Windows platforms (well,
> that's expected).
>
> While I don't consider this as a harmful I'm still somewhat
> skeptic about such changes that adds little to no value in my
> opinion.
> So instead I advised him to try using dub configurations for
> that task, and this where he start acting weird. Basically he
> just tell he don't care about any advises and then just quit...
>
> Well, ok then. But I still wanted to know what people think
> about such situations and hear advises on how to handle them.
> Should I just reject such stuff in the future, or "take down my
> proud" and merge? (though it's not about my proud tbh)
>
> One can read this little conversation here
> https://github.com/evilrat666/directx-d/pull/10

Hello,

To be honest would have I preferred the version(Windows) solution
to DUB configurations.

Actually DUB configurations are for software configurations (what
features are in), not what _platforms_ are in. Some people use
DUB configurations for examples which is really puzzling, you can
just use a separate DUB description file for that.

One part of our codebase had the exact problem your contributor
stumbled upon (dplug:x11) beacuse it brings a link time
dependencies and, like your contributor, DUB doesn't have
platform-specific dependencies.

In products we have 10 DUB configurations and cannot multiply
that number by 2 for platform considerations.

So we went with version(linux) there weren't other choices.

Simply said, people often err on the side of the "too-cautious",
but the more your merge, the more likely you end up with multiple
strong contributors (with a ramp-up as each side soften to each
other).