dub package PR social advice needed

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Sat May 9 12:41:39 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 9 May 2020 at 11:55:36 UTC, evilrat wrote:
> Hi there,
> A few days back one guy opened PR for my old directx bindings,
> asking to merge patch for 68 files where he adds
> version(Windows) to these files, claiming that he has some
> problem using the package on non-Windows platforms (well,
> that's expected).
>
> While I don't consider this as a harmful I'm still somewhat
> skeptic about such changes that adds little to no value in my
> opinion.
> So instead I advised him to try using dub configurations for
> that task, and this where he start acting weird. Basically he
> just tell he don't care about any advises and then just quit...
>
> Well, ok then. But I still wanted to know what people think
> about such situations and hear advises on how to handle them.
> Should I just reject such stuff in the future, or "take down my
> proud" and merge? (though it's not about my proud tbh)
>
> One can read this little conversation here
> https://github.com/evilrat666/directx-d/pull/10

You're responses seemed reasonable to me. That contributor didn't
seem like he wanted to consider your point of view even though
you were trying to understand his use case.

As for this particular issue, I wasn't sure why he needed those
versions. And you pointed out that someone may need those
bindings even if version is not Windows. The caller can always
wrap their imports in a version(Windows) block but they wouldn't
be able to remove that condition if it was added to the modules
internally. So you'd have to enable version Windows to use them
which would not work for certain use cases.