D mentioned on Rust discussions site

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed May 20 10:07:49 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:38:48 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> https://users.rust-lang.org/t/dlang-adds-a-borrowchecker-called-the-ob-system-for-ownership-borrowing/42872

  [gheli]
"It is inspired by Rust's borrow checker, but it fails in
comparison to it. It provides very little guarantees and does not
prioritize safety. It is being adding (IMO) simply as a PR stunt
as the current implementation stands."

[ZiCog]
""PR stunt" might be a bit of an overly negative view of things.
I prefer to think that D is an on ongoing experiment in exploring
language design in a genuine attempt to provide a programmer
friendly, easier to use, safer, C++ like language."

Who wants to use an "ongoing experiment" to write real world
software? That's to invite disaster. And worse than an
"experiment" that might have a sound scientific basis, D keeps
adding stuff at whim because others have it too, like children. I
wonder why D hasn't gained the traction its users think it should
have. Hm. There's a lot more to programming and PLs than fancy
ideas. A certain rigidity and straight-lacedness is often the
result of a lot of (creative) thinking and experimentation that
takes place before a PL reaches 1.0 - not afterwards.