D mentioned on Rust discussions site

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed May 20 14:14:05 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 10:07 +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:38:48 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > https://users.rust-lang.org/t/dlang-adds-a-borrowchecker-called-the-ob-system-for-ownership-borrowing/42872
>
>   [gheli]
> "It is inspired by Rust's borrow checker, but it fails in
> comparison to it. It provides very little guarantees and does not
> prioritize safety. It is being adding (IMO) simply as a PR stunt
> as the current implementation stands."

One of the Rust illuminati complained about this comment, asking people to
respect others' work. The point was well made and seems to have attracted a
lot of support.

> [ZiCog]
> ""PR stunt" might be a bit of an overly negative view of things.
> I prefer to think that D is an on ongoing experiment in exploring
> language design in a genuine attempt to provide a programmer
> friendly, easier to use, safer, C++ like language."
>
> Who wants to use an "ongoing experiment" to write real world
> software? That's to invite disaster. And worse than an
> "experiment" that might have a sound scientific basis, D keeps
> adding stuff at whim because others have it too, like children. I
> wonder why D hasn't gained the traction its users think it should
> have. Hm. There's a lot more to programming and PLs than fancy
> ideas. A certain rigidity and straight-lacedness is often the
> result of a lot of (creative) thinking and experimentation that
> takes place before a PL reaches 1.0 - not afterwards.

Programming languages evolve or die. During early stage evolution there is
always experimentation. This seems fine – as long as the experiments do not go
into a release prior to completion.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200