We need a community effort to maintain unmaintained dub packages, suggestions

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Sun May 24 11:42:26 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 24 May 2020 at 01:56:13 UTC, mw wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 20:06:42 UTC, welkam wrote:

> Then, who is the big corporate backer behind Python?
>
> Well, I think it’s the community — the community who maintained
> those so many out-of-box, directly useable extraordinary
> packages: numpy, requests, pandas, keras, etc. to name just a
> few. Which are often sought after by other languages’
> developers, and being simulated to keep the same interface,
> e.g. “what’s the numpy in C#? Java? C++?”
>
> Sure, behind the scene, the work is done by C, but it’s numPY
> who takes the credits.

> I would say, many times it’s the library packages that attract
> the people to use a particular  language, after all, not so
> many people are as enthusiastic about a particular programming
> language features as you and me or anyone on this forum.
>
> Normally, people use a language — and most importantly the
> *libraries* — to get their job done. That *usage* determines
> which language becomes trendy, becomes popular.
>
> I would say libraries can make a language, or destroy one.
>
> Numpy has made Python’s fame. I think currently D is on the
> other side of this spectrum (after 20 years).

I couldn't say better. You've said it all.

I use Node.Js MORE not because JavaScript is technically the best
language out there, its because it gets things done. Mostly the
packages on NPM. Its what I care about...and I can confidently
say that for a lot of devs using it...its why I came to it, its
why I stayed. How perfect or technically solid a language is
doesn't matter to run-the-mill devs (and they are the
majority...80%-90%), its the ecosystem of RELIABLE tools and
libraries/packages to get job done.

Somehow we haven't figured this out. We have the most brilliant
engineers doing the impossible here but that alone is not enough.
More devs means more contributors...especially for those less
technical stuff (arguably the majority of our problems)