Greenwashing

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Fri May 29 06:26:29 UTC 2020

Am Thu, 28 May 2020 16:39:21 +0000 schrieb Adam D. Ruppe:

> On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 15:12:56 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> 2. If we went to an "inferred-by-default" regime, there would have to
>> be a way to opt-out of it, to allow for crafting attributes of public
>> extern functions.
>
> You'd just have to write them out there.

I haven't though about it a lot, but I think I'd prefer to have stable
library ABIs by default. So at least all export-ed, non-templated
functions should not have inference.

Otherwise we'd have to add a best-practice 'fully annotate all exported
function to avoid ABI breakage' rule, which then again is some sort of
programming by convention...

--
Johannes