@safe/DIP1028 explained in meme form

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri May 29 11:02:12 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 22:54:07 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Quite quickly it goes to the same fixed point I mentioned a few
> days ago: We need a few more folks of Walter's caliber. Whom we
> don't have. (They're in awfully short supply is part of the
> problem.) Define roles all we want, shuffle human resources
> (real or imaginary) all we want, strategize all we want, we
> can't get around this obvious obstacle. Much of the current
> kerfuffle is the panic resulting from the fact that he is just
> like anyone liable to make mistakes.

I think that the obvious problem of this drama and also the D
project as a whole, is that the project doesn't scale beyond a
startup like project run by to close buddies. The company that
succeeds hire a professional manager (typically a CEO) and the
ones that don't just keep on going. There will be occasions where
the founders will not agree but the third party ensures the
interest of the company. I've seen this dozens of times right now
and it is often when the technical staff tries to go on project
management without any experience. Either the company sends some
of the programmers to some kind of leadership course or similar
or hire a professional, then things usually improve, a little bit
at least. The company that doesn't act and believe programmers
have some hereditary project management abilities, always fails
with the targets and the project as a whole.

What this project needs is more people on board and that's not
necessarily need to be a technical expert but someone whose
responsibility to ensure that the D language becomes successful.
This is the difference between Rust and D. Rust has professional
managers and can afford it, D has not the resources for this.

The D project has two directions now, either let this where the
community decide the direction of D or D should be run by some
kind board. I'm not so sure about if the community should have
too much to say because that might hinder the progress of D.
People will always disagree so it is much more difficult. You
Andrei is always welcome back. Would you reconsider even if it
would less time as the board would increase?

Also the panic around DIP 1028 also shows the difference in
expectations of the community input.