Improving the D documentation web presentation

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri May 29 18:31:53 UTC 2020

On Friday, 29 May 2020 at 07:39:59 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
> meh, still 1.1rem font size :p

lol i commented it out.... then copy/pasted it back in right
after without realizing it.

So I thought I removed it then was like "huh that actually still
looks pretty good" and was gonna live with it.

But idk I really prefer the body text standing out a little but i
might just hack that for me. Regardless it was just a mistake so
changed it now.

Just... I seriously hate it. And changing my browser's default
font size breaks other sites (I know it isn't supposed to but
like i have to use garbage sometimes). Like now forum.dlang.org
is killer cuz it does `font-size: 120%` like so many other sites.
ugh ugh ugh.

whatever i'll hack it somehow on my end.

> can you maybe comment on the overload changes a little?
> Especially keeping the margins around the whole block and
> keeping the ridge border + 2px borders between buttons.

i copy/pasted it in the file but it was overridden somewhere
else. my css is such a ball of spaghetti so getting your css
patch actually applied was kinda a mess (actually if you can send
me a patch file instead of blocks like this it would be easier -
I don't preprocess the css at all so just downloading it from the
site and running diff over it would be good enough).

try it now anyway

> I was just thinking of some content to fill there, might be
> worth putting anything else in there too. In the C# docs it
> says "C#" because .NET can be used from multiple languages.

Yes, I put the language in a little tag on teh upper right.

here for example:
http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/arsd.simpledisplay.html#windows-tips

So maybe I can move that tag into there... I'll play with it.

> Also about the prefix with "Function" part again: In the
> sidebar you already have the headers for these things, why not
> use those?

I'm not even sure I like that separation in the sidebar. I kinda
feel it is less usable than a simple alphabetic listing. I've
considered removing it many times.

Similarly, I kinda hate the grey background on inline code (tt.D,
.inline-code, etc). I stole that from Stack Overflow I think to
replace simple bolding, like the ddoc Phobos style does (and I
kept that on enum members and function params)... but I kinda
prefer the bolding. Just it was a bit loud inline. But for
headers  like enum values and param names, I definitely prefer it
to the background.

>   content: "n/a";

also not in love with this.... but i don't hate it either so idk.
maybe just "undocumented" would be better

ima play some more