D programming language popularity

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 22:47:04 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 3 November 2020 at 16:49:16 UTC, frame wrote:

> I want to add my 2 cent as newbie:
>
> - D also needs a new modern, _just working_ IDE with syntax
> highlighting, formatting, autocomplete hints, quick
> documentation. I've tried the Dlang IDE, VisualD, WebFreak-D or
> other Plugins for Visual Studio and IDEA. Plugins either do not
> work well, get broken with never versions (eg. MonoDevelop) but
> also true for VS Code.

+1

I wonder how many new users are turned off by the IDE issues in
D. I use VS Code and only ever use it as a glorified syntax
highlighter - I don't use any other features. Even I had to
uninstall the D plugins and write code using C++ highlighting. I
have literally just finished configuring my Kate installation for
highlighting D code as a temporary solution. Just one well
provisioned IDE would be significant for the community.